The use of dental veneers is usually related to something purely aesthetic, but the truth is that they provide much more important benefits, for example, there are people who, thanks to the use of these veneers, have improved their self-esteem and their socialization with other people. And it is that having good teeth is more important than we think.
But let’s go by parts, what are dental veneers? Also popularly known as aesthetic veneers , it is a technique that aims to “hide” errors that we have in our teeth, such as irregular shapes, different shades of white, stains or breaks. It is a very simple process in which the only thing that is done is to mask the problem so that external eyes cannot perceive it, it is the latest revolution in the area of prosthodontics , although within this area dental veneers are the least invasive of all existing techniques and with extraordinary aesthetic results.
The technique developed with these small sheets has evolved over time. Its origins date back to the late 1930s, in an environment as well known as Hollywood. Back then there was a need to hide certain things and that is why they invented what at that time were called “Hollywood Fronts”. But of course, the technique was very early and ended up giving enough problems, especially regarding the breaks and the fixing problems that resulted. A couple of decades later, new formulas were invented to carry it out, experimenting with resins and similar materials … although it was not until 1983 that porcelain was chosen, something that still persists today (despite not being the most used).
What types of veneers are there?
After consulting the professionals at the Soria Vizcaíno Dental Clinic, they explained to us that there are essentially two types of dental veneers: porcelain and composite, although there is a third option called lumineers veneers, which are porcelain dental veneers but with the peculiarity of being so thin that do not need tooth grinding . Both porcelain and composite are good options, the main difference is the duration and the price. The porcelain ones last much longer than the composite onesIn particular, they could reach 20 years of age if they take good care of themselves. The problem (apart from the fact that the price is more expensive) is that to put them the tooth must be lowered a little. On the other hand, the composite ones, apart from being cheaper, offer the ease that the tooth does not have to be carved or lowered, but simply a “mask” that is put on for a specific period of time (which can be a few five years). This problem is solved with the new lumineers dental veneers that we have already referred to previously.
Treatment and characteristics of dental veneers
The materials used today are very good and guarantee that you can achieve your own exact shade of white so that you do not notice the difference between the veneer and your own teeth. The goal is to find a way for a person to wear a perfect smile without fear and without complexes. When such a treatment is started, the client is spoken to and basic aspects such as tooth size, angulation and proportions (among other details) are analyzed so that everything is perfect.
They are also a quick process. With a single session you have enough to leave the issue settled. They are placed individually and when finished you walk out there with a totally natural smile.
In general terms and summarizing what has been said, these would be the main advantages of this type of veneer:
- Easy to put on. Not only fast (in a single session you have it) but it is also a technique that is not invasive at all and therefore your teeth will not suffer any retouching or scraping.
- Today’s materials allow that, with good use and maintenance, you can have them for an average of five years. By not eroding the tooth, once this time has passed you can put on veneers the same as the previous ones.
- Unlike other treatments, this one is quite inexpensive and adapts to all types of pockets. This is possible thanks to the fact that there is no intervention from dental prosthetics laboratories in between.
- It is customized to the maximum so that they are completely natural. Different aesthetic aspects of the face and expression are analyzed so that no one notices that you have had this type of treatment.
- You can do a “preview” to see how they would look. This can be asked to the dentist and he can make a prototype for you so that you can see how they will look once placed.